Sunday, August 8, 2010

WELCOME TO MY BLOG

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a magazine writer and quilt book editor by day and an avid quilter, dollmaker, and crafter by night. I decided to name this blog after the 1885 Victorian that my husband and I purchased six years ago because it inspires so many of my creations. I hope this blog will be a place where I can share some of my everyday activities--whether it’s writing an article, making a doll, renovating a room, or visiting a flea market. 


Although our old home needed a lot of TLC when we first saw it (and still does!), something about it spoke to us. Perhaps it was the porch that beckoned us with pleasant images of lazy afternoons spent sipping lemonade?


Oddly enough, our house has two front doors. Because this door is right off the driveway, it is the one we use most often. Originally, the other front door, which opens into a foyer, was the main entrance.


Inside my home you'll find many works in progress! My favorite things to make are dolls, doll quilts, and pincushions. I love working with wool and designed these wool tuffet and strawberry pincushions, which were inspired by some of my Great Aunt Tilly’s pincushions. In my spare time, I make them for quilt shops and online boutiques.


I love old dolls but they don't always fit my budget. That’s what prompted me to start making my own. Mine are not refined; they have more of a folk art feel. I hand sculpt the busts, arms, and legs from papier mache, then hand paint them, and sew their attire. Eliza (below) is a papier mache doll I recently made for a quilt shop.


I love making my own doll quilts with 1800s reproduction fabric. One of my favorite color combos is pink and brown--as seen in this little album cross doll quilt that I made. 


Nothing adds comfort to a home like an old quilt and a cat. This is my dear black cat, Poe (named after Edgar Allen Poe) napping on one of my antique quilts. Doesn't he look comfy?


Thanks for visiting and hope you'll stop by again later this week when I'll be back with a new post.





12 comments:

  1. Hi Kimber! Your home is amazingly inviting! Yes, sipping lemonade on your beautiful porch would be a perfect summer pastime. I love your Poe...and your work is wonderful and your dolls are gorgeous. There's nothing better than true folk art

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimber great blog! Your house is lovely and your work is wonderful! Really enjoyed reading about you and your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your home and hobbies. Both your pincushions and dolls are adorable. Where would I find the patterns for your pincushions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimber, Welcome to blog land! Your off to a great start. Love your home and work. Poe is a very lucky black cat to have such a nice antique quilt to lay on. I look forward to more blogging from you.~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovve the look & feel of your blog!!! Your gonna have so much fun with it! Hugs Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimber, You're really off to a great start. I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your home, and what a super little doll quilt. I'm sure I'll be visiting often.
    ~~Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the world of blogging. l look forward to following your journey. l too love quilting, and have in the past made porcelaine dolls. l am sure l will enjoy my visits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi
    Your new blog is lovely - and welcome to blog land!
    We have many things in common, I have a black cat and love african violets and I also have a doll named Annie.
    I have total porch envy - it is so inviting and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome blog Kimber! I LOVE your house!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Blog Kimber! Thanks for sharing! Your house and hand-made treasures are wonderful!
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blog, Kimber! I am in house envy!!
    I will find great joy in following your adventures.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!