Monday, August 30, 2010

YE OLDE SCHOOLHOUSE ARTICLE IN QUILT SAMPLER

The fall 2010 issue of Quilt Sampler will soon be hitting newsstands near you—if it hasn’t already, and one of my favorite quilt shops—Ye Olde Schoolhouse—is in it! In fact, I was fortunate to get to write the article on this truly inspiring shop.


I first became acquainted with this fun quilt shop while visiting the Madison, Wisconsin, area last fall. One day my husband and I decided to take a drive to visit Ye Olde Schoolhouse in the scenic town of Cedarburg (about an hour east of Madison). I must admit we were lured by the shop's enchanting name, which is especially fitting given the fact it's located in a former schoolhouse, built in 1887. I took the following photos of the shop while there. To see more of it, you’ll have to get a copy of Quilt Sampler!


Stepping inside this charming shop is like traveling back in time. Remnants of the building's past--everything from cloakrooms to library cabinets--have been lovingly preserved. Once inside, we were warmly greeted by the shop owner, Jeanie Rudich—one of the most genuinely kind people I have come to know. You can tell she has a passion for what she does and truly appreciates her customers.


I immediately felt right at home among the historic surroundings, 1800s reproduction fabrics, and inspiring shop samples. Jeanie also carries a rich array of homespuns and 1930s reproduction fabrics.


She has a knack for creating charming displays with antique furnishings that hold special meaning. For example, she spotlights pre-cuts like charm packs and jelly rolls against enamelware plates in what was once her grandmother’s cupboard.


The schoolhouse’s original library cabinet is now home to a treasure trove of half bolts wrapped in 1800s repro fabrics.


If you can't already tell by my glowing review, I loved everything about Ye Olde Schoolhouse. So I couldn't help asking Jeanie if she’d ever been featured in Quilt Sampler and was surprised to find that she hadn’t. I asked her if I could nominate her shop by taking some photos and sharing them with the editors. Luckily, she agreed. I knew her shop would sell itself once they saw it. And the rest is history. Not only was her shop selected as one of the top 11 shops for the fall issue of Quilt Sampler, her beautiful quilt “Army Stars” even made the cover! So congrats to Jeanie and her staff!

Jeanie recently surprised me with a thank you gift certificate to stay in one of Cedarburg’s beautiful historic inns, the Washington House Inn. Her generous gift truly made me speechless. It seems that I now have the perfect reason to plan another visit to her quilt shop!


If you haven’t been to Ye Olde Schoolhouse, I hope you will plan a visit. You won't be disappointed. In the meantime, check out the Fall 2010 issue of Quilt Sampler to find out more about this one-of-a-kind quilt shop or visit its online shop by clicking here.

6 comments:

  1. What a nice photo essay! I love my copy of the Sampler and have found lots of inspiration. Everyone should look at page 105 and note Kimber's doll sitting on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one magazine has always been a must have for me for the past 8 years. Not easily obtained here in the UK so always have it on order. I always find it very inspirational.

    Thanks for posting what looks like to be an exciting read and nice eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring shop. I would probably move in and never leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimber, your blog is lovely! I'm thoroughly enjoying my visit. Jeanie's quilt shop is so charming! I love the quilt hanging on the wall behind the counter, and the valances in the windows are so clever!

    I hope you enjoy your stay at the Inn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That magazine is one of my favorites, l always buy it and have it posted here, as we have to wait 2 months for it to hit our shops. Even more incentive, now l know you write some of the articles. Thanks for letting us know its available soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for writing that article! I am traveling to Wisconsin for work next month and set aside a whole day for quilt shop visits. Ye Olde Schoolhouse was not even on my radar until I saw the Quilt Sampler article and now I plan on making it my first stop when I leave the Milwaukee airport.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!