Wednesday, August 11, 2010

FLEA MARKET FINDS AND A NEW QUILT BLOG

This past weekend, my husband and I went home to visit my parents. On Saturday morning we headed over to a flea market in the nearby small town of What Cheer (yes, that's the name of the town!). Visitors flock there three times a year in search of treasures. Of course there is plenty of junk to sift through, too, but I've found everything from antique quilts to a Victorian parlor table there. And I almost always find a good bargain--or more!

On this trip, I found this weathered little doll bed. I collect doll beds and I liked the fact it has the timeworn patina of a well-loved piece.


I picked up these vintage trims for next to nothing, figuring that I could use them to embellish the dresses for the papier mache dolls that I make. As a dollmaker, you can never have too much trim!


And I'm not sure why I bought this old German chocolate mold tray as I don't really make candy. I just liked the bunny design and the fact that it had that timeworn look to it. The vintage pearl and plastic buttons pictured will come in handy when making my tuffet pincushions. One of my other favorite collectibles is vintage candy tins made in England and Holland. I'm a pink and green person, so this fanciful little tin spoke to me. I'll probably use it to corral all the wayward buttons currently scattered about my sewing room!


I don't normally take pics of my flea market finds but now I have an excuse to since I have a blog! Speaking of blogs, I wanted to mention a fun new one I recently discovered. As a quilter, I'm always watching out for inspiring new quilt blogs. That's how I met Cheryl of So Many Quilts, So Little Time. We're both new to blogging and we share a love of 1800s repro fabrics and doll quilts. Cheryl creates beautiful piecework as well as appliqué. When she's not busy with her many projects, she teaches quilt classes and dabbles at designing quilt patterns. She's also a talented photographer who enjoys capturing the beauty of nature. Her blog banner is one such example. Hope you can visit her!  

3 comments:

  1. The candy mold is exquisite. You are so lucky to live someplace where you can such things. A flea market here might produce a moldy cowboy boot or two. What great finds! A very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute doll bed. Can't wait to see it all made up with a doll quilt. Love that chocolate mold too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Kimber, that doll bed is fantastic. It needs a quilt for sure . . .

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!